Friday 10 October 2014

Queen for a Day

On Saturday, I got the chance to live like royalty. Well, actually to BE royalty for the day. I was part of a World War One re-enactment of King George V and Queen Mary reviewing the troops about to depart for the war in Europe. As part of the re-enactment, we (King George and I) got to make a grand, royal entrance by arriving in a vintage chaffeur driven Rolls Royce car. When we arrived at the church where George was to give his speech, our arrival was announced by the town crier and heralded by buglers trumpeting out a welcome for us. (Well, as a native of North America, I never thought I'd get that kind of experience!) I must say, even though it was all a drama and make-believe, I do find it wonderful to "get into character" and forget for the moment that it is not a real experience. Just a natural ham, me. Here I am as Queen Mary. (The present Queen Elizabeth's grandmother, for those who aren't sure who she is.)

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, Your Majesty! Queen for a Day, almost for real. Did it swell your head? At least the hats of the time allowed for the expansion. You look gorgeous, properly royal.

Connie said...

You got to be Queen Mary?! How wonderfully royal and fun without all of the responsibility!

Aya said...

A colonial playing Queen Mary! I dig it. :D You look amazing. I'm especially taken by your hat and the way the lighting creates a halo around your head.

Sierra Sue said...

Whoa, did the earth shift when you stepped out? You look amazing and it was such a kick that you had to add WHO dear Queen Mary was !! I may be a Red/White and Blue girl but I just know I was THE TRUE QUEEN in another life !!!
Thank you for a wonderful blog