Saturday 1 February 2014

Isabella Blow Exhibition

Many people are fashionable, or wear their clothes well, but few can be truly be called a style icon. Isabella Blow, however, was one of those people whose wardrobe and flamboyant sense of style stopped the presses. Google www.somersethouse.org.uk to see photos. Working in various fashion magazines, most notably Vogue, Blow is credited with recognizing the talent of, and launching the careers of both Alexander McQueen and the milliner, Philip Treacy. Tracey, especially was to become a life-long friend, and his creations, more sculptural fantasy than hat, were to add visual pizzazz to a girl who was already well on her way to being "over the top", as they say here in England. So, I was particularly interested in seeing the exhibition, "Fashion Galore" which showcased pieces from the late Isabella Blow wardrobe. As a moth who seemed to fly too close to the flame, Blow committed suicide in 2007 at only 49. Would I be as bold? Only if I could!

6 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Well, this is so very interesting to me, as I have been musing over fashion icons and how they have contributed to my personal style. I'm going to head on over via your link for a lookie!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I did better just googling Isabella Blow. Fascinating!

No Fear of Fashion said...

I heard of her and through 40+Style I came to know more about her. Very over the top, very much an icon. I will go at a much slower pace. LOL
Greetje

Kezzie said...

Oooh, I like your beret!! Red hats are the best- I nipped over from Hat Attack- also donning a red hat!
Isabella Blow- she was pretty fabulous!x

Melanie said...

Poor Ms. Blow, yes, she flew close to the flame, but, wow, did she ever shine bright herself. I wish she had been given more credit for her own talents.
You m'dear look smashing in your beret. I love how you shine in this.

Connie said...

Yes, she really was something! I was just thinking about her the other day as I was standing in line at the grocery looking at the sea of drab denim and black leggings. Sigh. So happy to see you're doing your bit in your Raspberry Beret!